Welcome to Another TCU Special Post. Today is World Earth Day & Many of us May Not be even aware of such a Day. It is a Pity that we are living in such a Marketed World where only the commercial aspects are promoted well (And Hence, we celebrate Valentine’s Day, Friendship Day etc – Which are Marketable Commodities). Earth Day is celebrated to create awareness and appreciation for the earth’s environment and also for being a Cornucopia of Energy Source.
In Many parts of the World, Earth day is often confused with Arbour day, even though in Principle they are one. Earth Day concept was started by Senator Gaylord Nelson in 1969 and it was on the premise of the rising environmental crisis. On April 22, 1970, the 1st ever Earth Day was celebrated with More than 20 million people actively participating in the event whose goal was to form a Healthy and sustainable environment for the next generation. The active participation was such a success that from then, it was a force to reckon with and they formed a community for Earth Day and even you can be a member of this. Any act towards the sustainability of the environment is welcomed and Even yours truly also planted a sapling just behind the home.
Be the change that you want to see – is the much often used phrase and on this World Earth Day, TCU also requests all of the ComiRades to indulge in such activities which makes our future better for the next tomorrow. One Man who lived upto the phrase of Be The Change is J Sterling Morton who single handedly took the initiative to change the environment and succeeded to a level that his Birthday is a State Holiday for Arbor Day celebrations. It is a Day celebrated to Mark the importance of Trees to human life.
We all read that Emperor Ashoka Planted trees on both sides of the Road in History (And this is often portrayed in a Lighter tone in Tamil Movies) and have we ever thought why no other King was given such note in the entire Indian History? Where are we Heading to? What will happen to the next generation? Will they visit some remote place to see Trees and Plants as we do now by visiting Zoological Parks? Will trees become extinct? Are they Expendable or Are we Making the trees Expendable?
|J Sterling Morton – Founder of Arbor Day||Senator Gaylord Nelson-Earth Day Founder||World Earth Day – Official Logo|
For Someone who has grown with Lots of Trees in the Living Area, the City life is Often Maddening, to say the least. Scientists have proved that even tress have sense and they can feel. Before this post gets into more serious tone, let us get into a Comics Short Story emphasizing that plants, after all, have sense.
Bangladesh. Circa 1971. The story starts with Col. Hasan taking over a Wonderful Garden and destroying it In spite of the requests by the Care Taker of the Garden. In a Moment of Madness, The Caretaker Lal is killed and as he dies, So are the plants over there in the Garden. Amazed by the happenings, Hasan goes for a Walk and Deservedly Shot by a Bangladeshi Fighter. As the Night Falls, Hasan wakes up what happens next truly amazes.Kindly read yourself and be the Judge.
|Thigil Comics Issue No 53 – Chedigalukkum Uyirundu – செடிகளுக்கும் உயிருண்டு – Page 1 – Hasan Taking Over|
|Thigil Comics Issue No 53 – Chedigalukkum Uyirundu – செடிகளுக்கும் உயிருண்டு – Page 6 – Hasan’s Death|
This Particular Story was published in 1975 in DC Ghosts Magazine and here is the full story to make sure that Everyone of the readers Understand that Plants do have sense. Click on the page to make it larger for convenient reading and move over the mouse on top of any picture to know the details of the publication.
Well, Well. The Above story was to emphasize the fact that Plants do have sense. However, of late the new school of thinking on fiction is, Earth has always been giving to Us. What if it starts to take it back? Just Like M Night Shyamalan’s Plot in The Happening, Huh? Even though it was panned by the Critics and Movie Goers, Notable Film Personalities such as Roger Ebert, Stephen King and Yours Truly liked the Film’s Central Plot. Now, let us get deviated from here. Another story for World earth Day Highlights How Oxygen is important and we are not making sure that we preserve the environment by planting enough trees.
This Particular Story was Published in Hawk Comics (Re-Prints Of IPC/Fleetway’s Earlier Stories) in 1989 in their Giant Holiday Super Special Album which also Contains Steel Claw’s Wonderful Story: The Return of the Steel Claw in a Complete Volume.
|Hawk Comics-1989 Giant HoliDay Special Cover||Hawk Comics-Marching Trees-1st Page||Hawk Comics-Marching Trees-Last Page|
Here is an Update on the Latest (Updated) Happenings of Tamil Comics Publication (Who else? M/s Prakash Publishers and other Local Publishers).
(1) Comics Classics: The Next issue to be Released from Prakash Publishers will be “விண்வெளி கொள்ளையர்” featuring The Steel Claw இரும்புக்கை மாயாவி. The other surprise element is that it will be published in The original Size A - 4. Those who want to know more on this, Kindly visit Comics Doctor’s Blog for a Complete review of the same. The news is that, Comics classics may hit the stands in Mid of May 2009, followed by Lion and Muthu Comics respectively.
(2) Lion Comics: The Next Issue of Lion Comics is almost ready and will be available on stands in two weeks time after Comics Classics. The story is மாண்டவன் மீண்டான் featuring Agent X-9 / Phil Corrigan. The Curtain raiser for this book will be posted in TCU in the 1st week of May 2009.
(3) Muthu Comics: In the Month of June, we will receive the Next issue Of Muthu Comics featuring Mandrake. Get ready for Preview of the same in the 2nd week of May Exclusively in TCU, Where else?
(4) XIII Special: The Final Word is Out and this time it is from the Horse’s Mouth Itself. Dec 2009 will be the time when we all will receive The XIII Jumbo Special. Those who want to own a piece of Comics History, Call 04562 – 272649 and Order a copy. For the Un-Initiated, Know about this special Edition by Reading this post.
(5) Couple of Local Publishers are in full swing for the summer vacations and they are going to hit the stands with their own brand of Comics and this will happen in May 2009. Last Year, Siv Has done a Wonderful post on such a Summer Release.
As usual, post your comments in the comments section. For those who want to Pen their thoughts in Tamil, Kindly Use the Option Provided in the Widget in the sidebar or Click Here.
Thanks & Regards,
Note: The Blossoms in Blood © Dell Comics, செடிகளுக்கும் உயிருண்டு © Prakash Publishers.
Note: Marching Trees © IPC Media, நடக்கும் மரங்கள் © Prakash Publishers.